Bringing Family Members to The USA

A US citizen or green card holder can bring their family members to the United States. Consult with an experienced immigration attorneydeportation lawyer or law firm if you are a US citizen or a green card holder and you have family members who are nationals of other countries and you want to bring them to the United States.

If you want to bring them to the United States for a short time, then they can visit the United States on a visitor visa which will allow them to stay with you for the validity of the visa assuming you are not in deportation proceedings or removal proceedings. However they cannot work or go to school on a visitor visa since that might Also they will have to leave the United   States when the visa expires. Generally a visitor visa is issued by US Embassies and Consulates abroad. Your family member must file the application along with the required documents to the US Embassy or Consulate. Your family member will be required to prove that he or she has sufficient funds to pay for his or her stay in the United States and is not deportable. You can provide a letter stating that you will be paying for the cost of your family member’s stay in the US. You will have to provide evidence of your financial ability to pay the cost. Consult with an experienced US immigration attorney or deportation lawyer . The attorney can review the circumstances and advise you and your foreign family member on the required documentation and the visa application process.

If you want to bring your foreign family member to live permanently with you in the United States, you will have to petition for an immigrant visa on their behalf. If you are a US citizen, then you can sponsor the immigrant visa petition of your spouse, children of any age, parents, brothers and sisters. As a green card holder, you can sponsor the immigrant visa petition of your spouse and unmarried children. Seek the assistance of an experienced US immigration attorney. The immigration lawyer can review your case and advise you on which family member you can sponsor.

You must complete the immigrant visa petition on behalf of your foreign family member and file the petition with the USCIS. You must provide evidence of your eligibility to sponsor the petition – proof of your US citizenship or green card holder status. You will also have to provide evidence of your relationship with the beneficiary of the petition – your foreign family member. If you are petitioning for your brother, you must provide evidence in the form of birth certificates of both of you showing at least one common parent. If the USCIS approves the petition, your foreign family member will be issued a family based immigrant visa. There are different categories of family based immigrant visa. Some categories of family based immigrant visas have a yearly limit on the number of such visas issued. So your family member might have to wait for sometime before he or she actually gets the visa.

If your foreign family member does not qualify for a family based immigrant visa, an experienced US immigration attorney can review the case to determine if your foreign family member is eligible for immigration to theUSunder some other category.

Comments are closed.